The UAW-FCA-Ford-General Motors Legal Services Plan (the Plan) is a program established and operated for the sole purpose of providing personal legal services to eligible Participants for legal problems arising out of the laws in the United States or Canada. The Plan is a Taft-Hartley Plan created for the purpose of providing office legal work and referral services to certain UAW members. It opened on January 25, 2017. Call (800) 482-7700 to request legal services.

Who is covered under the Plan?

Approximately 600,000 persons who are represented by the UAW and are active workers, retirees, or surviving spouses of employees of: 

  • FCA
  • Ford
  • General Motors
  • UAW

How is the Plan financed?

Plan benefits and administrative expenses are paid by FCA, Ford, GM, and UAW. The amount contributed by the Plan sponsors is established and fixed through collective bargaining.

Who operates the Plan?

The Legal Services Plan is operated under the authority of one Board consisting of 12 persons — six UAW-appointed members, two appointed by FCA, two appointed by Ford and two by General Motors.   The Board has selected a Director who is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Plan.

Who is eligible for Plan benefits?

Eligible participants include: 

Employees: Individuals who have 90 days of seniority and who are members of the bargaining unit. Eligibility ends if you have been continuously laid off for more than 24 months. 

Retirees: Individuals who were hourly workers represented by the Union and who worked for one of the listed companies and retired with a UAW-Company Pension plan. Persons receiving a deferred pension are not eligible. 

Surviving spouses: Spouses receiving surviving spouse benefits under a Pension or Retirement Plan. 

What benefits are offered to Plan Participants?

Under the Legal Services Plan, “office work” legal services are provided for a variety of legal matters such as wills, powers of attorney, name changes, real estate purchases or sales for residential real estate matters, uncontested family matters, credit reporting and questions regarding consumer contacts.   If a matter is not excluded and if it is not entitled to an “office work” benefit, then usually a low cost referral to a private attorney can be provided to the eligible member.

What matters are entitled to fully covered legal services?

Suspension or termination of Social Security Disability benefits are entitled to full services for Active Workers and Retirees; If your disability arose after you retired, you may think you are not eligible for Social Security Disability benefits. This is incorrect. The rules for if and when you may be eligible for Social Security Disability benefits are complex. Call the Plan and an attorney will discuss your situation with you.

What matters are entitled to the “Office Work” benefit?

  • Wills and Trusts
  • Name Changes
  • Birth and Marriage certificates
  • Uncontested family matters
  • Office work assistance on residential real estate matters 
  • Deeds
  • Leases
  • Credit reporting and credit problems
  • Consumer contracts

What services can be provided as part of the “Office Work” benefit?

Examples include:

  • Preparation of legal documents
  • Legal research
  • Factual evaluations
  • Document review
  • Telephone calls
  • Correspondence
  • Self-help counseling if appropriate

Are there exclusions from Plan benefits?

Yes. Examples include:

  • Legal services associated with a Participant’s business or rental property
  • Legal services that are against the member’s employer, or the employer’s subsidiaries, dealers or officers or agents
  • Legal services that are against the Union, its subordinates, affiliated bodies, officers, or agents
  • Fines and penalties
  • Non-legal costs attendant with the sale or purchase of real estate
  • Representation of a lender in a real estate matter
  • Workers compensation or Unemployment benefits involving the member’s employer
  • Any dispute involving the Plan
  • Any bankruptcy that would result in a discharge of a debt to the member’s employer, to the Union or any benefits

How do I obtain legal services?

If you believe that you are an eligible participant of the Plan and you have a legal problem, contact the Legal Services Plan by calling: (800) 482-7700.   When you contact us, you will be asked for your name and the last four digits of your Social Security number to verify your eligibility.  Once eligibility is verified, a case will be opened for you and you will be informed of the coverage level.   If you live in a state where the Plan has a staff office and if the matter is entitled to Office Work services, your case will be assigned to a Plan staff attorney and you will have an opportunity to talk to that attorney.   If you do not live in a state where the Plan has a staff office, you will be provided with a referral to a Cooperating Attorney.